When attempting to perform a system state backup using Windows Server Backup in Server 2008 the following error can occur:
C:\\Users\\administrator>wbadmin start systemstatebackup -backuptarget:g: wbadmin 1.0 - Backup command-line tool (C) Copyright 2004 Microsoft Corp. Starting System State Backup [21/04/2009 11:04] Retrieving volume information... This would backup the system state from volume(s) Local Disk(C:) to g:. Do you want to start the backup operation? [Y] Yes [N] No y Creating the shadow copy of volumes requested for backup. System writer is not found in the backup.
Other symptoms can include the following entry in the event log:
Log Name: Application Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2 Date: 21/04/2009 06:00:02 Event ID: 513 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: DC2.company.local Description: Cryptographic Services failed while processing the OnIdentity() call in the System Writer Object. Details: AddCoreCsiFiles : BeginFileEnumeration() failed. System Error: Access is denied.
Any of the following:
- The cryptographic service is failing, a dependancy of the VSS System Writer entry which Windows Server Backup uses to backup the data. If this entry is missing the data cannot be read.
- Incorrect permissions on or within: %windir%\\winsxs\\filemaps
1. Issues with cryptographic can normally be resolved by restarting the service. If this does not resolve the issue look for entries in the event log when the service was restarted.\
- The correct permissions for %windir%\\winsxs\\filemaps are:
- Local administrators, or Domain administrators if a DC: Owner, Read&exec, List folder, Read
- SYSTEM: Permissions as above excluding Owner
- Local Users, or Domain Users (may not be required): As above
- TrustedInstaller: Full Control